Monday, August 23, 2010

Mysore

I decided to make a detour for Mysore and spend there one day. The city in Karnataka is known for its palace, sandelwood and silk products.

I started with the Palace that was very colourful and contained a lot of beautiful things. Also from the architecture it is very impressing. Unfortunately, inside it is not allowed to take pictures and I even had to remove my shoes. In the ticket price was included an audioguide that told all the interesting stories.


From there, my rickshaw driver took me to Chamundi Hill on which there is a temple for the most famous goddess in Mysore: Chamundeswari (= Durga). She fought against an evil demon and brought good luck to the reigning family, that's why every they still celebrate the Dasara festival.

Also on the hill is a giant Nandi sculpture - the vehicle of god.

Later, it was time for shopping: I bought a silk sari for a friend and got myself some silk kurthas as well as some oils. At the oil shop, a woman rolled incense sticks - she is doing 10.000 pieces per day!!!



Next morning I left Mysore in direction of Bangalore - on the way to the train station I got the chance for a typical picture: woman in sari balancing concrete bowl on her head for road side work.



No comments: