Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kerala - God's own country

On Monday, I arrived in Kerala - God's own country - and claimed to be one of the best parts of India. What I have seen so far this is very true.


Unfortunately, also here it's the rainy season, but at least temperatures are a bearable 20-25 degrees. Everybody carries an umbrella and I even saw a roadside umbrella repairshop - what is this guy doing in the dry season???

Some interesting facts about Kerala:
  • highest literacy rate in India - 91%
  • more women than men are living here --> matriarchy
  • in 1957, it became the first state to democratically elect a Communist government
  • coconuts are very common in the cuisine and can be found at nearly every corner, either in a shop or on the trees

During all my stay in Kerala I stayed at the Vintage Inn - a nice little Inn with breakfast, hot showers in the morning, TV and helpful people. From there I made several trips, so please stay tuned for special features about Kochi, Munnar and the Backwaters.

No comments: