Sunday, August 1, 2010

Delhi

Very early wake up call. The plane landed punctual at 5:20 am in Delhi (way to early) and they had only one Indian movie in the onboard entertainment:(.

The next two hours I spent at the airport which was again totally different layed out then last year and there was no more AirTel stall, so I had to go for AirCel that has no good reputation. So after I got money, a SIM and a prepaid taxi I headed to the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station - my first time there, and I like New Delhi station much more. Especially, I have to work on my negotiation skills as the porter ripped me off 100 Rs to bring my backpack to the cloak room.

There I met with Kittu later on and we went together to Humayun's Tomb which is nearby. The weather was not very pleasant, hot, rainy and very humid.

Humayun was the second Mughal emperor to rule India, Afghanistan and Pakistan and when he died is widow, Hamida Begum, supervised the construction of his tomb for several years.


In the same area is also another tomb and mosque - that of an Afghan prince named Isa Khan Niyazi. The octagonal tomb is positioned within a garden of the same shape which was built during the lifetime of Isa Khan and the reign of Sher Shah's son. Later, the entire family of Isa Khan was buried here.



We boarded an auto to the Red Fort, but when we got there the queue was so long we decided to take the metro to Rajiv Chowk/ Connaught Place. There we met some of her friends and ate in a Punjabi Restaurant - I had Dum Aloo, Butter Paneer Masala and a dessert.

Then we all four went in one auto back to the railway station and they brought me to the train to GWALIOR.


No comments: