Sunday, August 1, 2010

Helsinki

So the journey begins ... in Helsinki, the first stop on my six weeks' holidays.

First time I flew Finnair and it was really nice. From airport I went to Anni's place - a girl I found on couchsurfing.net who offered me a couch for the night. We did not have much time, but nonetheless had some fun and good talk.


Saturday I spent discovering Helsinki, first by a tram tour, then by a guided tour around the sea fortress Suomilinna (Castle of Finland) which was founded under the name Sveaborg (Castle of Sweden), only there has never been a castle, just a fortress. Also it belonged to the Russians for some time, before Finland became independent in 1917.
The guide was a very funny Finnish guy who told us a lot of stories about the fort and it was really enjoyable.



In the early afternoon, I took a ferry back to the Market Place and walked from there to the cathedral and the Esplanade Park before finally ending at the railway station where I picked up my luggage. The Finnair bus brought me back to the airport and the plane took me to my next destination: DELHI.




No comments: