Monday, April 7, 2014

Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque & Tonala


The three cities of Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala are very different from their character but very close from location, so that you sometimes do not realize going from one to the other. 

We started in Tlaquepaque that was an artist and crafts town. We had a late lunch in the Quinta Don José - a nice little hotel with pool and Italian restaurant. We were surrounded by paintings, pottery and fountains. 

Patricia from Peru in front of some great paintings

our favorite!

atmospheric lamp

In the afternoon we were led to a pottery workshop and I tried my luck in doing a vase. There was a lot of room for improvement. The president of AIESEC Guadalajara gave us a small city tour and from the glimpse I got I would say its a wonderful place for interior shopping if just someone would take care of the shipping costs. 

The master creating a fountain.

Church

Main Plaza with Pavillon

Sweets shop

The next day we spent in Guadalajara sightseeing. We visited the Hospicio Cabañas - built and served as an orphanage, it features a series of modernist murals by José Clemente Orozco. 

Men on fire - cupola mural

Just some steps outside of our hotel was the Plaza de la Liberación with the cathedral on one end and Teatro Degallo on the other. 

Cathedral

Teatro Degallo

In the afternoon, I walked the streets without the big group finding churches, lovely houses and markets. 


Guadalupe Church

After a refresh in the pool that was much cooler than in Guanajuato, time was ready for another Mexican night with tacos, tequila and Mariachi. I joined a group going to a club before calling it a night. 

Partying at Lola Lolita

The last evening in Guadalajara was very modern as I went with a Mexican family and a Singaporean couple to a big mall for Chinese food. This modern restaurant - P. F. Chang's - can't compare to any Chinese restaurant I'm used to at home and probably it spoiled me as I liked all six different dishes that Geraldine ordered. 

Delicious! Yam!

The business trip ended here and the goodbyes were said. Before leaving I made a trip to Tonala and roamed the Sunday market. I finally found shoes, a tablecloth for my new flat and some earrings.  

Pottery - to heavy for my suitcase

My new pairs of shoes


No comments: