Thursday, February 5, 2009

Udaipur - City of Palaces

I left Khajuraho in early morning by bus to Jhansi, from there I took a train and made it in time for the overnight train from Gwalior to Udaipur. The total trip took more than 24 hours, but in the end I was rewarded by a beautiful hotel with a pool (quite cold, but I did 20 laps), nice romantic scenery and a room with an alcove and colored window.





Despite the two beds in the room, I decided to sleep on the mattress on the alcove.



In the afternoon, I made a boat ride on Lake Pichola and had a look at the famous Lake Palace and City Palace. The first one starring the James Bond movie "Octopussy".



After a round on the lake, we stopped on Jagmandir Island and I drank a sunrise mocktail in the Pichola Bar and ate some ice-cream.


After that, I went to a place called Bagore-ki-Haveli, where they show dances from Rajasthan every evening. So they enchanted the audience with a peacock dance, some puppet dancing, another one with fire and the last one with 9 pots balanced on the head of a woman.


Today, I went on a tour to see the City Palace, a garden with fountains and some other sights:


City Palace - Colored glass window


View from Moti Magri


Saheliyon-ki-Bari - garden with fountains


No comments: