Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chandigarh - a city designed on the drawing board

I arrived in Chandigarh around 10 am and then looked for a hotel, as a lot of them were booked due to a banking exam on Monday.


Chandigarh was designed on the drawing board by the French Le Corbusier who used a lot of concrete in the mid of the 20th century to build the city. Actually, I did not like the city too much, maybe just to modern. It was lacking character.

One place was enchanting nonetheless and this was the Rockgarden designed by Indian Nek Chand.


He used garbage from the city to create formations, structures and figures.


The Rockgarden features water falls, a swing park and a nice surrounding to hang out.


The swing park was amazing, bringing back childhood feeling. As many as 20 to 30 people could swing at the same time under big arches and enjoy themselves.


I would have stayed there, if somebody had hinted me that this was the best part of Chandigarh. But I left to have a look at the Sukhna Lake where an artist made a drawing of me in which I look so old I will never show anybody.


Then I was really big disappointed by the High Court & Secreteriate and nearly blamed the rickshaw wallah for bringing into a concrete construction site, but that was it. So I left in a hurry for the city centre in Sector 17 and had a look at the shops, before heading back to Sector 22 in my hotel.




No comments: