Friday, March 4, 2011

Delhi

In Delhi I stayed again at Ringo's Guest House near Connaught Place.

From there I went to my last sight seeing destination: Jami Masjid. It's the biggest mosque of India built in the 1650s by Shah Jahan. The courtyard offers place for 25.000 muslims at prayer time. In contrast to the mosques I visited in Istanbul, there is no real interior space here. There are just three big cupolas but below them is an open arcade.


In the courtyard, I asked several foreign groups if they could take me up one of the Minaretts as it is not allowed for women to go there without a male companion. Finally, I found an Italian couple and so I could enjoy the view from above on the mosque, the surrounding bazaars and the Red Fort.


Afterwards, I went through the Big Bazaar streets and bought spices, sweets and a lot more.



Late at night, I met a friend of Sankalp and we went for a late night tea at one of the big hotels, before he drove through tremendous fog to the airport. My luggage added up to 38 kg plus hand luggage.

No comments: