Friday, September 10, 2010

Bhaktapur

After lunch, I returned to the Ring Road and headed to the last city: Bhaktapur. The road should have been a highway but was more like a big gravel road with giant pot holes and under construction. I took me a lot of time and energy to reach the city. I was compensated by the lovely Durbar Square.

Royal bath


My guide showed me around and explained me the buildings and temples. After some time on the square, we moved to the Pashupatinath festival. All the married woman are wearing red saris and a lot of dancing groups are competing against each other.


Then I had a look at the craftsmanship of the town - first potery. On a big square many clay pots and vases are dried. Also statues of gods.


The second is the art of painting thankas. A thanka is a Tibetan silk painting depicting a famous scene, a Buddhist deity or a mandala. The art is taught in thanka schools where the pupils learn it for several years. A special thanka is the Dalai Lama Mandala. As it can take weeks, months or years to complete a thanka, the price is accordingly.


On the way back to my bike, I met some nice little school girls.


I took another road back to Kathmandu, but it also went up and down. When I returned to the city, I passed by the bus stop and saw the unloading of some stubborn goats from.



No comments: