Wednesday, March 20, 2024

India - back again

Over the years, several attempts to return to India have failed: first COVID, then other commitments, then the festivals I wanted to experience coinciding with work or other travel. To manifest the trip for 2024, I asked for a Lonely Planet India as Christmas gift last year. 


So for this 9th trip to India, my agenda was 

  • Meeting our Indian team members and work a couple of days in the Gurgaon office
  • Visit my best friend Sankalp
  • Meet lots of other old friends
  • Explore Rishikesh and Dehradun and
  • Experiencing the Holi festival 
  • Enjoy Pondicherry


So after the first couple of days, what can I say? There are things that have dramatically changed in India and there are things that have not changed at all. 


Change

  • More liquor stores and they look super shiny
  • Even more coffee than chai then last time
  • Instant payments with your phone (does only work if you have an Indian bank account)
  • Confirming everything with an OTP (taxi rides, train booking, logins)
  • Electric cabs 🚕 and auto rickshaws 🛺 available
No change
  • Speed bums on high ways
  • Stray dogs everywhere 
  • Lots of trash on the streets
  • Honking with no end
Most of the first week, I spent in Gurgaon working with my team member and the rest of the Medium & Heavy Commercial Vehicle Team on our data.

Manat, Shubhankar, Chris, Satvik

For lunch, we went to the neighbouring Ambiance Mall and ate ourselves through the international food offer: Nando, Chilis, Manchurian and YouMee. 

Team lunch

On Monday night, we went out to Cyber Hub for a team dinner including our old colleagues Paritosh and Kushagra.

Team dinner

Tuesday night I spent with Vividha at "The Piano Man" listening to live R&B music by Muskan & Yash in 32nd Avenue - the second nightly hangout place.

Chris & Vividha

Muskan & Yash

Wednesday night, I explored Galleria Market - the third and last place for going out. So considering that there are only three places it was not so unusual as I thought that I stumbled on a colleague in 32nd Avenue the night before.

Cyber City & Cyber Hub

No comments: