Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Discover Germany Tour: Weimar & Thuringia

Yesterday I arrived in Eisenach, Thuringia, where my grandparents live. Eisenach is famous for the castle Wartburg - here Martin Luther hid and translated the bible to German. Also the automotive industry is quite known for - first the Wartburg (a GDR car, my parents drove one a long time ago) and then Opel - due to the crisis live is not easy for the workers right now.

After helping my grandma with the groceries, the obligatory visit at my favorite shoe store and being fed many delicious things, I left to Ilmenau about an hour away from Eisenach where I met my friend Anita. We went together to grammar school and now she is married and has a kid (Jarle - two and a half years).

My next stop in Thuringia was Weimar - the city of poets and philosophers. I visited the houses of the poets Goethe and Schiller, the Anna-Amalia-Library which was restored to her beauty after a fire some years ago. The night I spent in a hostel which is very beautiful from outside and very cramped and alternative on the inside.

Goethe & Schiller monument


City Hall

Goethe's house


Rokkoko Hall of the Anna-Amalia-Library


Schiller's house


my hostel



my lunch - typical Thuringian sausage

After Weimar I made a last detour to Reichenbach in Saxony to visit a colleague before I returned home having done more than 2,000 km in 14 days.

No comments: