Sunday, July 15, 2018

Cairo: Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Khal el Khalili

I travelled to Cairo by night train and had a compartment for myself - it arrived quite late, so I did not had to wait too long for early check-in at the Le Meridien.

Watania Sleep Train

From my balcony I had a great view of the pyramids, nonetheless in the afternoon I took a closer look at them and Sphinx.

View from my balcony

Three pyramids and 

a Sphinx

In the evening, I visited an old AIESEC friend - Lina and I worked at the International Congress 2005 in India together.


Last day in Cairo started with a big and fantastic breakfast on my balcony before I took a cab and the metro to the Egyptian museum.

tasty breakfast

There were a lot of artifacts, statues and mummies in the museum - also sometimes it looked more cluttered and forgotten in a corner than well curated.

Egyptian Museum - outside

Egyptian Museum - inside


Death mask

From the museum to the quietness of the Al-Azhar Mosque it was just a cab ride.

Al-Azhar 

Al-Azhar - court yard

Across from the mosque starts the Khan al-Khalili market and I had some food with other AIESECers there and then went up and down the market to shop for earrings and a lamp.

Khan al-Khalili

lamps

more lamps

No comments: