Sunday, April 5, 2015

Down the Algarve Coast

After getting my rental car (a FIAT Punto) at Faro airport I started my drive down the Algarve coast to see some amazing beaches. 

First were the sandstone cliffs of Praia de Marinha near Carveiro. A 5,7 km walkway leads to the next village while getting you amazing views on arches, rock towers in the sea and sinkholes in the valleys. 

Praia de Marinha




Stone steps leading down to the beach that is my favorite swim spot for a warmer day.

I continued to Lagos and headed to Praia de Dona Ana. Very windy. 

 Praia de Dona Ana



After so much windy beaches, it was time for a walk in the sunny streets of Lagos. Restaurants and souvenir shops dotted the alleys up- and downhill. The sunburn looming on top of me, I got back in the car after lunch.

street art

strolling

one of the many restaurants

Last stopover of the day was the end of the Algarve coast, of Europe and the old world. At Cabo de Sao Vicente (Cape St. Vincent) ships sailing for the Atlantic waved goodbye to continental Europe and headed out to the dangers of the open sea. A lighthouse sits on the rocky top and still fulfills the job.


Lighthouse on Cabo de Sao Vicente

Looking up the coast to the North

 Entrepreneurial Germans - last Bratwurst before America -it's even on Google!


No comments: