Thursday, September 12, 2013

From Stockholm to Moscow

My last business trip brought me to Sweden where I enjoyed two days of sun and delicious Swedish chocolate balls.


On Friday, I left Stockholm and flew east to Moscow. I already had heard a lot about traffic jams in Moscow in the rush hour but to encounter one just after midnight on Saturday morning was new to me.

The first days, I spent with Oksana, her mom and daughters. Her little Diana got quite addicted to my iPad. As the weather was cold and rainy I skipped the sightseeing and just relaxed.

On Monday morning, I went to the Crocus Expo for COMTRANS - the biggest Commercial Vehicle show in the Russian speaking world. Besides the European and Russian manufacturers there were also a lot Chinese, Korean and from surrounding countries.

First MAN truck from Russian production

Getting ready for Winter Olympics in Sochi

In the evening, I moved to Lena's place for the next days where I had already stayed in 2008 and 2012. Both sisters were great hosts and prepared delicious food. Tuesday and Wednesday I spent at the exhibition centre checking out the competitors. One of the Russian banks presented a futuristic truck in the outdoor area.

SperBank truck ...

... for a "Perfect future".

All the big stands featured some kind of shows to attract the masses:

  • Daimler showcased Russian force with two men reforming pans, metal tubes and tearing phone books apart.
  • Volvo sent artists up in the air.
  • KAMAZ raffled rally truck models and let you shake hands with truck rally driver.
  • MAN let musicians play classical music and artists juggle balls. 

The MAN Lion's Coach joined ...
... the MAN Efficient Tour across Russia.

I left very early Thursday morning to the Hotel Kempinski Baltschug - this time without any traffic jam, so that arrived within 18 minutes (much fast then with the metro). At the hotel I had the chance to attend a business breakfast with leaders from different business sectors exchanging their views on the Russian economy.

Later I sat in the lobby doing some more work and having a great and expensive lunch. Then I went with my big suitcase to the metro station and took the Aeroexpress to the airport Domodedovo.

No comments: