Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Balloon riding in Allgäu

I got a voucher for balloon riding to my birthday and it was about time to redeem it. I tried in August but the weather was bad. So I was happy to receive a call on Monday with the news that the weather forecast for Tuesday was good. 


Early morning my phone was waking me up and I left Dachau in the dark. I went to the south in direction of the Alps and after more than an hour I reached the meeting point at Lake Schwalten. Several other people were already there and at 7:30 the organizers arrived with two VW vans with trailers. We were split up and we jumped into the van and left in search for a take off point. 


There we helped to unpack the basket and the balloon. The other group did the same on the opposite meadow. After 20-30 minutes the balloon was blown and fired up and we got into the basket for our ride. 



We gained height and moved north going down on the lake where we parked the cars. Then we really went up to have a fantastic view of the Alps, the Allgäu and the clouds over Munich. We went up to 3000 m. 



We could even see the clouds over the cooling towers of one of Bavaria's nuclear power stations. 


After 90 minutes of balloon riding we prepared for landing on another meadow nearly touching a wired fence. As it was the first balloon ride for allow us except the pilot, we were baptized, got a noble name and were introduced to the royal circle of balloon riders. 


After we finished our glass of Prosecco we helped to pack everything and we're driving back to the parking lot. A fantastic adventure that asks for repetition.

No comments: