Saturday, June 6, 2009

More mosques, churches and bazars

This morning, I took bus 87 from Taksim Square and the bus driver showed me the right stop and direction for Kariye Müzesi (Chora Church), which is a little bit outside from the centre. This church is nearly as old as the Hagia Sophia and faced the same destiny. Here only some small tourist groups (only French and Spanish) were lurking around and the mosaics were amazing in their detail displaying the life of Jesus, Mary and scenes from the bible.




I took another 87 back upto Valen's aqueduct which transported water to the city already in the 4th century AD.



To the right, there is Şehzade Mehmet Mosque and I had nothing better to do, I took a look insight:

Later I also peeked into the New Mosque and the Süleymaniye Mosque. The later one was under construction so only a little part was open to the public. Done with the churches and mosques for the moment, I was looking for more profane pleasures and made another tour for the Grand Basar and afterwards moved on to the Spice Basar buying apricots for my Mom, pistachios for my brother and lokum/ Turkish Delight for all the others.



In a side street behind the spice basar I found a nice clothes stores where I bought two dresses and a blouse. A Turkish who studied in Heidelberg helped me with picking out the right stuff and invited me to come with her on the Asian part of Istanbul and so we went of with the next ferry.


There we ate and drank and she told me about the shop she had just across from the restaurant where we were sitting. So we sat there until nine in the evening and then I took a bus and ferry back to Kabataş and found there the last mosque of the day.

No comments: