Thursday, July 24, 2008

Moscow II

Another day, I went to the Kreml - the old fortified heart of Moscow and still the centre of the Russian political power. The Kreml consists of several buildings, palaces, churches and the Kreml wall. After buying a ticket I walked into the Kreml and it started raining, so I hid inside the cathedrals and the Armoury. In the later one, there are displayed jewellery, many Fabergé eggs, golden and silver plates and suits of armour.

In Moscow, shopping is a new leisure activity and so a lot of high-end shopping centres are to be found in the city: GUM, Zum, Atrium and a lot more. But these designer temples are for the rich and richer, the normal Russian shops in less expensive shopping centres, in smaller shops or on the markets. There is also a market for souvenirs - Izmaylovo Market - there you can get all kinds of Matroshkas - traditional, with faces of sport stars, politicians, the Simpsons or Winnie-the-Pooh.

The evenings, I spent mainly with Lena in front of TV watching the Euro 2008 matches, especially the matches of Russia & Germany. For luck, our teams always won:-). One evening, Lena, Alla and me danced at the Hard Rock Café Moscow and another evening Lena and her mother went with me to a Latin-American restaurant and live music bar.

On Saturday, I went to Alla's datsha at the countryside and met the rest of her family and we ate a lot of strawberries before we walked around the nearby lake. In the afternoon, I took an elektritshka (local train) back to Moscow. In the early evening, Lena and me went to a park and fed a squirrel that was very shy and ran away from us.

No comments: