Friday, July 18, 2008

Moscow - capital of Russia I

I took an Aeroflot plane from St. Petersburg to Domodedovo Airport - one of five airports around Moscow. Lena picked me up and drove me her home in Grand Park - a new appartment buildings complex with security people. She has a wonderful appartment with modern furniture.



After we had some nice lunch, we left again for the city. Lena dropped me off near the Red Square and went to work. I started with my orientation around Moscow and first looked around Teatralnaya Ploshchad where the famous Bolshoi Theatre is. Unfortunately, one of the stages is currently under construction and on the other was only an Italian opera shown, so I decided against buying some tickets.


Then I went to the Red Square which is surrounded on one side by the State History Museum, the GUM shopping centre, St. Basil's Cathedral and the Kreml wall and in front of it - the Lenin Monument.


I went into St. Basil's which is the landmark of the Red Square and is to recognize by its 9 colourful onion domes. The interior is as colourful as the outside. Afterwards, I went to the GUM - a very expensive shopping palace consisting of designer stores. A prices are upper upper class. I just bought a fruit salad and a coke in the in-house fast-food restaurant. Then I got a call from Alla to meet her in front of the Lenin Monument.

As the opening hours for this monument passed already (10-13 o'clock on TWTSS), I visited him another day. I had to queue for an hour and pass a security check (nonetheless, I was able to smuggle my photo camera mobile inside:-)).



Alla went with me to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, which was destroyed by Stalin and re-built in 1997.

Afterwards, we went to her parents home and her mom cooked some delicious fish for us and then we ate some ice-cream. From there we went to Alla's home and she showed me her wedding video. We met her parents again in the park on the way to the metro station.

In the next days, Alla spent some more afternoons with me and showed me around, among others a photo exhibition with underwater pictures, Puschkin's statue and the arstists' district.



No comments: