Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Budapest: twice in 8 months

Recently, I made two trips to Hungary. In May 2022, I arrived from Zagreb in Croatia on the way to Bucharest in Romania. In January 2023, the AAE team has chosen the city for our planning weekend. 


View on the Danube River


On the first trip I explored the city: walking up the castle hill to Matthias Church, taking a bath in the Gellert baths and meeting local alumni for a breakfast. 



Matthias Church




Thanks to the book "1000 Places to see before you die" I learned about the Gellert Bath and several other bathing institutions in the city. Housed in an Art Deco style building, the bath offers several different tempered pools. Also outside, they have a big pool for swimming and hot baths for relaxing.


Gellert Bath 



In the morning, I met CsĂ© and Jude to talk about opening AIESEC Alumni Hungary which seemed to have gathered interest of lately. 



I also took the train to Szentendre and walked the picturesque streets of the little town at the Danube river that attracted a lot of artists and boasts with museums.


Danube 



Szentendre




In January, we spent most of our time indoors working on our strategy. In the evenings we explored different restaurants: first night we had a nice Italian dinner at Ape Regina. Saturday evening, we wanted to feel the splendour of grand Budapest and went to the Ritz Carlton hotel. There we had an expensive and delicious dinner with pricey wine. 



Ape Regina


AAE discussions


Ritz Carlton


Sunday before we left, Kate and I walked by the Danube river and went to my favourite Coffee House: Gerbeaud where I enjoyed a tea and a piece of the Royal Chocolate cake. It was so good that I got another piece for the travel. 


Royal Chocolate Cake
Crispy caramel wafer, hazelnut praline, white chocolate, dark chocolate mousse dusted with cocoa powder



No comments: