Thursday, January 3, 2019

Matka Canyon

When you have seen everything in Skopje head out with Bus 60 from Transport Center (or any intermediate stop) to Matka Canyon. The bus ride takes 50 min and costs 40 MKD - make sure to o buy a multi rides card beforehand as the bus drivers do not sell tickets anymore. Information on lines, stops and schedule on JSP OTG App. 

I took the 8:45 from the city and at the last stop (Matka) I was one of the two remaining passengers. This solitude lasted for a long time. I followed the way uphill and passed the visitor center (closed on Mondays) and at the small parking lot turned left and then the way narrowed to allow only pedestrians. I continued on it to the top of the dam wall and there had the first glimpse at the Matka Lake. 10 min from the bus stop, there are a hotel, restaurant, toilets and boat rides at the lake. 

Ready for a boat trip?

Hotel & restaurant

St. Andrew Church (1389)

I followed the path for 6 km going up and down, turning to and away from the water and explore the Matka Canyon. Beware at some points the iron rail is broken and the path is not secured all the time. Be surefooted. 


Matka Lake



 After more than an hour walking with only passing another small group the natural quietness was broken by a boat engine and surely I saw from the high path a boat approaching with tourist. I thought the boat rides might not work in winter, but soon more followed. 20 min later I reached the dead-end of the path across from the Vrelo Underwater Cave. 




One of the boat drivers called out to me and asked if I wanted to see the cave. I then went back a bit and went down a steep slide (probably a small creek in summer) and there he picked me up and brought me to other river side. I climbed up to the cave and went inside with the other tourists. It was nicely lit and is the deepest in Europe. Every year, dive teams try to explore the underwater part. So far, none has reached the bottom. The last exploration went down to 900 m.


View from the dead-end to the Vrelo Cave

Vrelo Cave

Stalactit Pine Cone

I returned with the boat and thanked the nice boat drivers for the ride. 

Boat trip back

I made it back in time to the bus stop. In the meantime several tourist buses, taxi and private cars had arrived. I was already contemplating how to best hitch a ride with one of them as the public bus arrived 10 min late. So have faith. 

No comments: