Sunday, April 3, 2016

Kaunas

My last day in Lithuania, I spent in Kaunas - the second biggest city with around 300,000 inhabitants. I took a slow train stopping at every village (basically, there was no other option at this time, 4.70€/ 90 min) and arrived by 10:30 am.


From the railway station, I took one of the buses to the city centre (all except No. 4 led there). I got off near the main shopping street and walked along this pedestrian street. As it was Sunday, it was very quite and only cafés, bakeries and souvenir shops were open. I counted four Coffee Inns and Vero Café each.

Lonely Shopping Street

Stop at the Café

By the end of the very long street, I reached the old town with several churches, the City Hall and the House of the Thunder God.

City Hall
House of the Thunder God

Lithuania was the last European country to convert to Christianity and paganism has not yet totally faded although Lithuanians are very religious and church going. The weekend must have been the communion as all churches I visited were packed and the services lasted for hours.

Cathedral




Nearby, were also the remains of the castle that still displayed a tower and a wall. The adjoining park seemed to be a favorite family hangout area with playgrounds and picnic areas at the joining of the Neris and Nema rivers.


Outside the old town and shopping street, Kaunas was not very lively. I first thought that the Devils Museum was closed but when I pulled the door handle, it moved. Inside was a collection of devil and demon figures mainly from Lithuania and neighboring countries and I found also a Krampus from Austria and some Asian demons.

Devils Museum

A bit further down the street a funicular led uphill and I followed the recommendation from the tourist office and went to the roof of the Church of Christ's Resurrection. The view of Kaunas was not as breathtaking as Vilnius - and the church - a modern building constructed between the World Wars.

Church of Christ's Resurrection

Street Art

I returned to the shopping street and circled the Russian Orthodox Church that was closed and made my way back to the train station where I arrived in time to make it on an early fast trains to Vilnius (7.85€/ 66 min).

Russian Orthodox Church


No comments: