Friday, June 13, 2008

Copenhagen - the Mermaid s city

After more than 16 hours in the train from Munich, I arrived around noon in Copenhagen. First thing I looked for my hostel and got rid off my luggage. Then I bought the Copenhagen Card and started my sightseeing tour.

In the Ny Glyptotek, there were exhibited a lot of statues from all kinds of styles and eras.




Next I walked through the city centre and passed by the theatre and a castle on my way to the little mermaid at the seashore. Modelled after a fairy-tale by Hans Christian Andersen, the mermaid is the symbol of the city. The final sight of the day was the Rundetaarn - a tower that has a street/ ramp inside and only at the very end stairs. From top you have a beautiful sight over the city. There is also an oberservatory, but as I was late it was closed already.




The next day started with a train ride to Roskilde - a town 32 km west from Copenhagen. In the Dome of Roskilde all the Danish kings and queens a buried. Beneath the Dome at the seashore is a Viking museum where you can test some Viking ships for real.



My next excursion led me to Hilleroed and the Fredericksborg Castle that is still decorated in the way of the people who once lived there.



The evening I spent in Tivoli - the amusement park dating back to the 19th century, also the roller coasters, merry-go-rounds and other attraction are of younger age.

No comments: