Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rajasthan - the land of kings

From Bikaner House in Delhi (the bus stand of the Rajasthan Tourist Development) I left together with Sankalp for the land of kings as Inka already returned home. In Jaipur, I stayed with Manish's parents who adopted me like their own daughter. I had very nice talks with Manish's mother and relaxed one day in their house.

On 14th January it was Kite Festival - meaning all Jaipuris - young, old, small, tall, poor, rich - were on the roof tops and bringing their kites in the air. We started the day with flying kites in the pink city and then Sankalp took me to his cousin's house whose birthday was also that day. Here we spent nearly the whole day flying kites, listen to the music and eating. From time to time the people changed as other relatives came by to party and congratulate and others left for the next event.


Sankalp took me home to his family for lunch where I got mainly sweets to eat and could avoid the danger of spicy food.
In the evening, we checked for trains for my other destination wishes, unfortunately only the next evening was a place vacant to Jodhpur so I took this.

My last day in Jaipur, I left my luggage in the train station and wandered around shooping as I have done the sightseeing tourist tour already two years ago. I bought some nice shows, jeans, bangles and for a friend a Sari Barbie. In the afternoon I went to a Bollywood movie: Halla Bol.

After some nice Italian food on a roof top restaurant I left for the train station.

The next morning around 5 am I arrived in Jodhpur, where I first got myself in a nice hotel and caught some more sleep. Later I went to the Meherangarh Fort which sits on a hill and which has the best tourist structure I experienced so far in India. An audio guide tells you every interesting information on the fort, its owners and the life centuries ago.


From the fort I had a splendid view on the blue city as Jodhpur is called also. From there I went to the current home of the Maharaja of Jodhpur - the Umaid Bhavan Palce which was built in 1930s. The Palace is also a museum and a 5 star hotel. I tried to go inside and eat dinner, but they charge a cover fee of 2000 Rs and that was too much for just having a nice dinner.
My last stop was the Clock Tower and the bazaar around where I got a nice blue bed cover before I left for the train station and my train to Delhi.

No comments: